Saturday, August 18, 2012

Two Little Boys by Duncan Sarkies

Two Little Boys
by Duncan Sarkies
John Murray, 2009
p282

About the Book
When Nige runs over a Norwegian backpacker while attempting to save petrol, his life really turns to . He chucks the body in a nearby roadwork and runs to his best mate of fifteen years, Deano. Trouble is, Deano's not really the guy you should turn to in a crisis. This off-kilter tale of male camaraderie is a bizarre debacle from start to thrilling finish. 

My Thoughts
I have the feeling that this book has a bit of the Twilight phenomenon about it... only with less vampires and werewolves and more stupidity. It isn't a well written book, but I still want to find out what happens. On the back there is a list of things the book has.. I am particularly interested in getting to the penguin and the really cool lighthouse, but at page 82 neither of them seem to have made an appearance... It also promises to be very funny... which is subjective anyway... there have been a couple of times when I've ha'ed but nothing really laugh out loud...

Ok, I've skipped to the end to see if it is worthwhile finishing... and I realised that I've mixed the characters up! They are kinda like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern who are interchangeable... only in the story Deano and Nige aren't... so I'm a bit confused by the ending. I think I might have to read some more to work out how the end came about...

You will too because I don't want to give it away.

Apparently they have made a movie of it. It stars Hamish Blake (of Hamish and Andy) and Bret Mckenzie (of Flight of the Concords). It's out in September in New Zealand. I'm not sure that I would want to go and see a movie about it... it would definitely be a very blokey movie as it is a very blokey book.

I'm going to have to abandon this book as I've got to read The Plot Against America by Philip Roth for book club... and I've renewed this one 3 times already. I made it to page 108.

No comments:

Post a Comment